There's Much to Do this Winter at the Zoo!
NOVEMBER 01-30: CELL PHONE CHALLENGE
Be an advocate for apes. Support the Zoo’s Cell Phone Challenge, a community-wide project to see which school, business or organization can collect the most cell phones, and help save wild gorillas. Collecting and recycling cell phones helps protect wild gorillas that live in areas where cell phone materials are mined. The group that collects the most cell phones from November 1-30 will win an ultimate Zoo Prize Package. All phones must be turned in by December 1, 2015. No fee is required to participate. The Zoo donates 100 percent of recycling proceeds to the Dian Fossey Gorilla Fund International. All details about how to participate in the Challenge can be found online at www.okczoo.com.
NOVEMBER 25: FREE DAY AT THE ZOO
Wednesday, November 25, admission to the Zoo is free for guests of all ages. Zoo hours are 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
NOVEMBER 26: THANKSGIVING DAY, THE ZOO IS CLOSED.
NOVEMBER 27: BLACK FRIDAY
Visit the Zoo's Safari Gift Shop on Friday, November 27, for hassle-free, holiday gift buying. Free gift wrapping. Open 9 a.m. - 5 p.m. Free parking.
NOVEMBER 30: CYBER MONDAY
Purchase or review a Zoofriends' membership online and receive $10 off on Monday, November 30. Receive a $5 OKC Zoo Gift Card when you use promo code CYBER15. Click here.
DECEMBER 1: GIVING ZOODAY
Giving Tuesday is a global day dedicated to generosity and giving back. On Tuesday, December 1, consider your impact on wildlife conservation by donating to Zoofriends. Click here!
DECEMBER THROUGH FEBRUARY: TWO-FOR-ONE TUESDAYS!
Turn your Tuesdays from mild to wild when you take advantage of the Zoo’s new winter promotion, Two-For-One Tuesdays! This winter, buy one Zoo admission ticket and get one for free (of equal or lesser value) each Tuesday in December, January and February. The Zoo is open from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
DECEMBER: ZOOFRIENDS HOLIDAY SPECIALS
Give the gift of the wild this holiday season with these specials from Zoofriends!
- Receive $5 off any new, renewal or gift membership purchased now through December 31 (excludes Junior memberships). Use the promo code “WILD15” and save an additional $5 off! Offer valid online at zoofriends.org, by phone at (405) 425-0618 or in the Zoofriends’ membership office.
- Animal adoptions are a great way to share your love for the Zoo’s animals with everyone on your list. Contributions from these symbolic adoptions support the health, enrichment and nutritional needs of all animals at the Zoo. With each $45 donation, recipients receive their choice of a plush elephant or otter, adoption certificate, a fact sheet about their adopted animal and name recognition on the Zoofriends’ website for one year.
- Zoofriends’ members can shop and save with a 25 percent discount at the Zoo’s Safari Gift Shop from December 1-31. This discount only applies to non-sale items.
DECEMBER: WILD WISH TREE DONATIONS
Calling all of Santa’s elves! Help make wild wishes come true for the animals at the Oklahoma City Zoo. Zoo fans have an opportunity to enrich the lives of the animals by purchasing gifts from the Wild Wish Tree. Located in the Guest Relations office, the Wild Wish Tree displays ornaments bearing descriptions of enrichment items for Zoo animals. Diverse in size, shape and cost, each wish list item has been selected to generate the interest, curiosity, play and enjoyment of particular animals or species. Select “wild wish” items one of two ways:
- Visit the Guest Relations' office daily from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. to select your ornament. After purchasing the item, you may bring your gift back to the Guest Relations’ office through December 31.
- Purchase a gift directly from the Wild Wish List Amazon link, www.amazon.com, and the item will be shipped automatically to the Zoo.
For more information, contact Guest Relations at (405) 425-0262.
DECEMBER: OKC ZOO’S SAFARI GIFT SHOP HAS IT ALL!
Put the pep back in your shopping step with a visit to the Oklahoma City Zoo’s Safari Gift Shop. The Zoo’s gift shop is your ticket to a one-stop, hassle-free shopping experience for all your holiday gift buying. Open daily from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. in the Global Plaza, the Safari Gift Shop features a unique selection of merchandise—including an array of plush animals, children’s books, educational toys and games from favorites like Melissa & Doug and Stephen Joseph. Discover locally made and designed apparel options, such as tees and sweatshirts, which will be one-of-a-kind finds for everyone on your list. Beautiful home decor from Natural Life, a company that gives 10 percent of proceeds to several non-profits including nature education, also offers something for everyone. But wait, there’s more! The Safari Gift Shop provides complimentary gift wrapping for all purchases made in December, parking is free and Zoo admission is not required to visit the Safari Gift Shop. Zoo gift cards also make wonderful gifts and can be used for any need in the park. Zoofriends’ members receive a 25 percent discount through December 31.
Another unique gift idea! Original artwork, made by the Zoo’s resident animal artists with some help from their keepers, combines the worlds of animal creativity and conservation. Painting techniques vary by animal. Some use brushes while others prefer to use their noses, scales, paws or claws! Artist animals include birds, grizzly bears, hogs, sea lions, snakes, stingrays and more! All proceeds from Zoo animal artwork support Zoo conservation and enrichment programs. Visit www.okczoo.com to purchase one-of-a-kind paintings online, or stop by the Guest Relations office open daily from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
DECEMBER AND WINTER SCHEDULES
The following Zoo attractions have established winter season hours and will be operational weather permitting of 55 degrees or higher.
- The ZooZeum, Endangered Species Carousel, Explorikeet Adventure and Children’s Zoo Barnyard area will be open from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. daily.
- Elephant Express opens at 10 a.m. daily.
- Giraffe feedings are from 11 a.m. to noon and 1:30 p.m. to 2:30 p.m., Friday through Sunday.
- Elephant presentations are at 2 p.m., Friday through Sunday.
- Stingray Bay is open 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. daily. Hours are subject to change without notice due to weather conditions or routine animal care.
All other rides and attractions are closed for the season.
DECEMBER 12: SKYPE SING-A-LONG: I WANT A HIPPO FOR CHRISTMAS
A Zoo holiday tradition continues with the “I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas” sing-a-long led by Gayla Peevey Henderson herself, during a Skype broadcast. Gayla will take us down memory lane as she shares her memories of growing up in Oklahoma City and this song’s connection to the Zoo. Join the jingle jam on Saturday, December 12, noon in the Zoo’s Education Center’s auditorium located at the east end of the Zoo’s parking lot. Light refreshments will be served. Plus, a selection of “hippo” merchandise will be available for purchase at the event. This event is free. For information, call (405) 425-0262.
DECEMBER 11: ADULT EDUCATION PROGRAM, “O’ CHRISTMAS SEA PARTY”
‘Tis the time for the wildest holiday party in town! The Zoo’s Education team has a merry evening planned for partygoers on Friday, December 11, from 6-8 p.m. complete with snacks and beverages, an ugly sweater contest, and the opportunity to pose with a sea lion for the ultimate holiday photo. Attendees must be 21 and older. Cost is $30 per Zoofriends’ member and $35 for nonmembers. You must pre-register and pre-pay through the Education department at 405-425-0218.
DECEMBER 15: SANTA DELIVERS
Santa will be stopping by the Oklahoma City Zoo to visit the animals and you! Join us on Tuesday, December 15, at 10:30 a.m. when the big guy delivers “animal approved” gifts to his wild friends in the Barnyard area of the Children’s Zoo. The fun continues in the Canopy Restaurant with free hot chocolate and snacks while supplies last. Be sure to bring your camera to get pictures with Santa! Reservations are not required. Don’t forget, Tuesdays are “two-for-one” discount days in December, January and February.
DECEMBER: WINTER FAMILY PROGRAMS
Bring friends and family together with the Zoo’s fun and exciting education programs. See live animals, make holiday crafts and edible treats for our animals and your pets, hear winter stories, or take your photo with Santa. Adults must accompany children. Parents are free with paid child registration. Pre-registration and pre-payment is required. For more information, call (405) 425-0218 or visit www.okczooed.com. Program dates include:
- Story Safari: Saturday, December 5, from 10-11:30 a.m.; Ages 5-10; $20/session/family
- Santa’s Ocean Adventure: Saturday, December 12, from 10-11:30 a.m.; Ages 4 and up; $20 for Zoofriends’ members, $23 for nonmembers.
- Zoo Chef Christmas Style: Saturday, December 19, from 10-11:30 a.m.; Ages 3 and up; $12 for Zoofriends’ members, $15 for nonmembers. Allergy alert: includes possible allergens.
DECEMBER–JANUARY: SCHOOL’S OUT SAFARI DAY CAMPS
Seeking an adventure for your child during school holidays? Hosted by the Zoo’s Education Department, Safari Day Camps are available for kids ages 4-11. Drop off is from 8:15-8:30 a.m. and campers must be picked up at 12:30 p.m. for half-day or 5:15 p.m. for full day. Snacks will be provided, but campers must bring their lunch. The cost per child is $25 for half-day or $45 for full day. Advance registration and payment is required. For more information, call (405) 425-0218 or visit www.okczooed.com. Program dates include:
- December 18, 21, 22, 23, 28-31
- January 4 and 18, 2016
DECEMBER 25: The Zoo is closed for Christmas Day.
JANUARY 1: The Zoo is closed for New Year’s Day.