Employment Status: Non-Exempt, Seasonal
Pay Rate: Based on Experience
Reports to: Exhibit Supervisor; Manager of Zoological Operations
Job purpose: Living Exhibits, Inc. designs, builds and maintains interactive animal exhibits for zoos, aquariums and museums across the country. Currently these exhibits include walk-in aviaries featuring Australian parrot species and touch-tank marine aquatic exhibits featuring sharks and stingrays. The goals of such programs are to increase the value of the guests’ experience, further our customers’ zoological mission and do so in a fiscally viable manner.
As an Animal Care Specialist, you are responsible, under the direction of your Exhibit Supervisor, for all aspects of exhibit operation including animal care and health, life support equipment operation, interaction with guests and the leadership of host institutions. It is imperative that all duties are performed in a consistent, accurate, informative and entertaining manner. This position should be fun for you and the guests.
1. Bachelors degree in zoology, animal husbandry, a related field or equivalent experience;
2. One year practical experience in the care and interpretation of animals; zoo and aquarium animal related experience a plus;
3. Basic knowledge of the animals featured in our exhibits (avian or marine), their care and general conservation issues;
4. Basic understanding of animal enrichment and animal training using positive reinforcement;
5. Must be comfortable speaking to and interacting with guests, the media, and employees and volunteers of the host institutions;
6. Basic computer knowledge including E-mail, Word and Excel;
7. Able to perform physical tasks including occasional lifting of moderate to heavy loads (up to 60 lbs), climbing of ladders and ability to work in elevated conditions. Able to work in salt water and handle shell fish (marine exhibits).
1. Communicate effectively with all members of the Living Exhibits team, all host institution personnel, volunteers, guests and any others that come into contact as a result of Living Exhibits operations;
2. Perform daily animal husbandry duties including, but not limited to:
- Cleaning and maintenance of animal exhibits;
- Preparation of food and feeding of animals;
- Observation of animals for injuries, disease and behavioral changes;
- Necessary care and medical treatment of injured or sick animals;
- Maintain records for feeding, health care, facility and life support operation;
- Operate and maintain life support equipment;
3. Keep a clean and orderly work space including proper care and maintenance of department facilities and equipment;
4. Provide educational and interpretive information to all host institution personnel and volunteers as necessary;
5. As an aid to the Exhibit Supervisor, serve as a liaison with host facility personnel to problem solve, promote a productive relationship and ensure good customer satisfaction;
6. Interact with guests, including discussing the exhibit, the animals, conservation issues and answering questions;
7. Completion of projects and other duties as assigned including travel to other exhibits;
All employees of Living Exhibits are subject to employment eligibility and background security checks as well testing for illegal substance use as allowed by law.
Applicants can send a cover letter and resume to Laura Wandel, Manager of Zoological Operations at LWandel@livingexhibits.com.
Living Exhibits Incorporated
7582 Las Vegas Blvd., Suite 186
Las Vegas, NV. 89123