OKC ZOO AND DR PEPPER ANNOUNCE VENDING MACHINE ART CONTEST WINNERS - 2013
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE April 21, 2013
CONTACTS: Candice Rennels: (405) 425-0298, office, (405) 412-6172, cell, or firstname.lastname@example.org
Carrie Allen: (405) 425-0292, office, or email@example.com
OKC ZOO AND DR PEPPER ANNOUNCE WINNERS OF VENDING MACHINE ART CONTEST
The Oklahoma City Zoo and Dr Pepper are excited to announce the winners of the Dr Pepper Vending Machine Art Contest. Students in kindergarten through twelfth grade had the opportunity to enter the contest from February 18 through March 29, 2013. Using the contest theme, “I spy, water wonders,” students submitted their designs for a chance to win one of two grand prizes of $500 in tuition or school supplies courtesy of First Security Bank and Dr Pepper and have their artwork displayed at the Zoo. The Zoo received nearly 900 entries this year from students representing 43 schools.
This year’s contest theme allowed students to creatively express their thoughts and feelings about water conservation. Students were encouraged to consider all the world’s water sources from oceans to Oklahoma’s lakes and streams, and how they would protect these valuable resources and the water wonders that inhabit them. The Zoo aids in numerous local, national and international conservation projects that help protect ecosystems and the animals that live there, and wanted to convey the importance of doing so to the next wave of conservationists.
- Grand Prize (K-5): Katie Stephenson, Stilwell / Mrs. Smith’s class, Maryetta Elementary School
- · Grand Prize (6-12): Rebel Connell, Stillwater / Ms. Kirby’s class, Glencoe High School
Both Grand Prize recipients will receive $500 in tuition courtesy of First Security Bank and Dr Pepper, and their artwork will be displayed as the cover design on a Dr Pepper vending machine located on Zoo grounds for a year!
- First Place: Alyssa Brewer, Guthrie / Mrs. Baker’s class, Guthrie High School
Alyssa will receive a $50 Zoo gift card and her poster will be displayed at the Zoo.
- AZA’s (Association of Zoos and Aquariums) Choice Award: Aubrey Robichaux, Edmond / Keri Harper’s class, Russell Dougherty Elementary School
Aubrey has won an animal painting for her school and her poster will be displayed at the Zoo.
Zoo Director’s Honor Roll Awards:
- · “CAN (Conservation Action Now) Champion”: Hannah Hagy, Guthrie / Mrs. Baker’s class, Guthrie High School
- · “Conservation Commendation”: Sebastian Foster, Edmond / Allyson Wolfe’s class, Cross Timbers Elementary School
- · “Conservation Commendation”: Lily Lacina, Guthrie / Mrs. Baker’s class, Guthrie High School
- · “Conservation Commendation”: Michael Graft, Guthrie / Mrs. Baker’s class, Guthrie High School
- · “Dr Pepper Choice”: Hannah Nimmo, Walters / Kay Nimmo’s class, Chattanooga Elementary School
- · “Otter Awesome”: Ashley Thomas, Stilwell / Mrs. Smith’s class, Maryetta Elementary School
- · “Sea Lion Salute”: Caitlyn Kiehn, Oklahoma City / Mrs. Gull’s class, Deer Creek Intermediate School
- · “Seal of Approval”: Talib Mink, Stilwell / Mrs. Smith’s class, Maryetta Elementary School
- · “Super Starfish”: Sarah Villines, Edmond/ Mrs. Gull’s class, Deer Creek Intermediate School
- · “Wave Reviews”: Timberlyn Gruenwald, Pawnee / Mr. Solomon’s class, Cleveland High School
“Honor Roll” recipients will receive a certificate and their poster will be displayed at the Zoo.
The Zoo will unveil all the winning designs including, the two Grand Prize Dr Pepper vending machine fronts, at 2 p.m. on Sunday, April 21, during the Zoo’s Party for the Planet celebration.
We’re wild about art and conservation at the Oklahoma City Zoo. The Zoo is a proud member of Oklahoma City’s Adventure District located at the crossroads of I-44 and I-35. Hours of operation are 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. daily. Buildings close at 4:45 p.m. daily. Regular admission is $8 for adults, $5 for children 3-11, and $5 for seniors ages 65 and over. Children two and under are admitted free. Become a Zoo fan at www.facebook.com/okczoobg or follow us on Twitter @okczoo. To learn more about these and other happenings, call (405) 424-3344 or visit okczoo.com.
Editor’s note: Photos of each winner with their artwork are available through the Zoo’s PR Department.