OKC ZOO ANNOUNCES DR PEPPER ART CONTEST WINNERS - 2012
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE April 25, 2012
Candice Rennels: (405) 425-0298, office, (405) 412-6172, cell, or email@example.com
Tara Henson: (405) 425-0219, office, (405) 919-9038, cell or firstname.lastname@example.org
WILD ABOUT ART: OKC ZOO ANNOUNCES DR PEPPER VENDING MACHINE ART CONTEST WINNERS
The Oklahoma City Zoo is excited to announce the winners of this year’s Dr Pepper Vending Machine Art Contest. The statewide contest ran February 22 through March 31, 2012 and a total of 1,076 entries were received from students from 54 schools’ kindergarten through 12th grade classes.
This year’s contest theme, The Zoo + YOU = Conservation!, was chosen to promote awareness of the Zoo’s dedication to the preservation of the Earth's natural resources through conservation, education, awareness and scientific research. These projects are helping animals such as Lesser Prairie Chickens, Sumatran Tigers and Orangutans, Asian and African elephants, Horned Lizards, Rhinoceros and Western Lowland Gorillas, and their native homes. Students were encouraged to illustrate ideas they have for helping the Zoo save wildlife and wild places.
Winners of the 2012 Dr Pepper Vending Machine Art Contest:
- Grand Prize (K-5): Adhya Kumar, Edmond / Ms. Lyle’s class, Centennial Elementary School
- Grand Prize (6-12): Tyler Ray, Elgin / Ms. Crittendon’s class, Elgin High School
Both Grand Prize recipients will receive a $500 savings bond courtesy of First Security Bank and their artwork will be displayed as the cover design on a Dr Pepper vending machine located on Zoo grounds for a year!
- First Place: Gina Porter, Guthrie / Ms. Baker’s class, Guthrie High School
Gina will receive a $50 Zoo gift card and her poster will be on display at the Zoo.
- AZA’s Choice Award: Shania Do, Moore / Mrs. Lepley’s class, Heritage Trails Elementary
Shania has won an animal painting for her school and her poster will be on display at the Zoo.
Zoo Director’s Honor Roll Awards:
- “Conservation Commendation”: Jenny Snyder, Edmond / Ms. Dean’s class, Deer Creek High School
- “Earth Excellence”: Cali Smith, Stillwell / Mrs. Smith’s class, Maryetta School
- “Conservation Champ”: Dulce Lopez, Oklahoma City / Ms. Collins’ class, Classen School of Advanced Studies
- “Dr Pepper Choice”: Timberlyn Gruenwald, Cleveland / Mr. Solomon’s class, Cleveland High School
- “Wild for Wildlife”: Callé Tyler, Oklahoma City / Mrs. Burroughs’ class, Nichols Hills Elementary
- “Green Master”: Misha Friend, Guthrie / Ms. Baker’s class, Guthrie High School
- “Earth Ambassador”: Shelby Howland, Moore / Ms. Gatlin’s class, Moore High School
- “CAN (Conservation Action Now) Hero”: Selah Gilbert, Oklahoma City / Ms. Wolfe’s class, Independence Charter Middle School
- “Planet Protector”: Michael Barham, Oklahoma City / Mrs. Johnson’s class, Spencer Elementary
- “Recycle Reward”: Michael Mobley, Oklahoma City / Mr. Patton’s class, Astec Charter High
Each “Honor Roll” award winner will receive a certificate and their poster will be displayed at the Zoo.
We’re wild about art at the Oklahoma City Zoo. Visit Oklahoma’s #1 attraction and one of the top three zoos in the country as named in the 2012 10Besties Readers' Choice Travel Awards! The Oklahoma City Zoo is a proud member of Oklahoma City’s Adventure District located at the crossroads of I-44 and I-35. Hours of operation are 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. daily. Buildings close at 4:45 p.m. daily. Regular admission is $8 for adults, $5 for children ages three-11 and seniors ages 65 and over. Children two and under are admitted free. Become a Zoo fan at http://www.facebook.com/okczoobg or follow us on Twitter @okczoo. To learn more about these and other happenings, call (405) 424-3344 or visit okczoo.com.
Editor’s note: Photos of each winner with their artwork are available through the Zoo’s PR Department.