OKC ZOO HOSTS WORLD ELEPHANT DAY, BRINGS ATTENTION TO ELEPHANT CONSERVATION EFFORTS - 2014
MEDIA ADVISORY August 11, 2014
Candice Rennels: (405) 412-6172, cell / (405) 425-0298, office / email@example.com
Carrie Allen: (405) 425-0292, office / firstname.lastname@example.org
OKC ZOO HOSTS WORLD ELEPHANT DAY, BRINGS ATTENTION TO ELEPHANT CONSERVATION EFFORTS
WHAT: World Elephant Day at the Oklahoma City Zoo
WHEN: Tuesday, August 12, 2014, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
DETAILS: We love elephants. Do you? The Oklahoma City Zoo is proud to partner with theWildlife Conservation Society and their 96 Elephants Campaign to celebrate the most amazing animals on the planet, elephants. Join us at the Zoo on World ElephantDay, Tuesday, August 12, as we come together to learn about elephants and how wecan take action to save them. Elephant-related activities are planned at the Zoo from 10a.m. to 2 p.m. and are free with paid admission.
Elephants are the largest land mammals in the world and among the most intelligent animals on earth. Unfortunately, Asian elephants are also among the world’s most endangered species. At the turn of the 20th century, more than 100,000 Asian elephants roamed their native habitat. Today, less than 50,000 Asian elephants remain in the wild. The Campaign was named for the number of elephants currently killed each day by poachers.
To learn more about the elephant crisis and how to help, visit www.96elephants.org.
World Elephant Day Activities at the Zoo include:
- FREE safari boonie hats for the first 300 kids. (Global Plaza)
- Go Grey for Elephants! Receive a grey ribbon in support of elephants. Free while supplies last. (Global Plaza)
- FREE educational coloring sheets. (Global Plaza)
- Biofact Station (Global Plaza)
- Meet the Zoo's Asian elephant herd! Rex, Asha, Chandra and little Malee will be the highlight of special elephant presentations at 10 a.m., noon and 2 p.m. (Elephant Habitat Pavilion)
- Click a pic for conservation! Take an "elphie" on Zoo grounds and share your photos on social media at facebook.com/okczoobg or tag @okczoo #GoGrey on Twitter.
Come on! Go grey for World Elephant Day! The Zoo is a proud member of Oklahoma City’s Adventure District located at the crossroads of I-44 and I-35. Hours of operation are 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. daily. Buildings close at 4:45 p.m. daily. The Zoo is open until 8 p.m. on Saturdays through August 30 with buildings closing at 7:45 p.m. Guests must exit grounds at closing time. Regular admission is $8 for adults, and $5 for children ages 3-11 and seniors ages 65 and over. Children two and under are admitted free. Become a Zoo fan at www.facebook.com/okczoobg or follow us on Twitter @okczoo. To learn more about these and other happenings, call (405) 424-3344 or visit www.okczoo.com.